Recently, Patrik and I pondered about, which upgrades we’ve been done on our yacht.
Countless small ones of course, like sewing magnets on the shower curtain and glued the counterparts on the wall. Installing spice shelfs in the galley, buying new comfortable kapok cushions for the cockpit (not to forget my new hammock, still originally wrapped in its packing). Also new pictures and some deco stuff, in order to get our own personal touch in. Then rearranging the cabinets in the bathrooms with bamboo dishes and small reed baskets (instead of the ugly plastic ones)….. and so on, and so on!
Anyway, a few drastic changes have also been done. These are the – so far – top upgrades we did:
1. New arch which serves as a dinghy & solar panel supporter (RS-INOX)
2. Five solar panels, which produce up to 600watt power (VICTRON)
3. New A.I.S., an Automatic Identification System, where other ships (with A.I.S.) can see us and we can see them, even big container and cruise vessels (AMEC)
4. Replacing plotter, wind indicator, depth-speed-log multi-instrument (RAYMARINE)
5. Replacing anchor, 25 kg (ROCNA Vulcan)
6. New inverter to turn 12VDC into 220VAC (VICTRON)
7. New electric outboard engine (EPROPULSION Spirit 1.0 Plus)
Certainly, we also did a lot of maintenance. Such as cleaning her hull and put some new antifouling on it, in 2019. A new bimini and sprayhood, also in 2019. Changed quite a few sheets and this year we did the service on the mainsail. Also, Patrik finally replaced the old gas hoses and a new horseshoe buoy has been bought! And we bought a new matrass for the master cabin (one who lies on top of the existing one).
So, people writing about living on board are probably right, when saying, it never gets boring, there is always some work to be done! It seems to be the case, indeed!
Here comes a little more detailed explanation of the instruments:
- p70 Auto pilot control head: Receives data from i70 and i60 instrument. The p70 tells the course computer which course to steer or which wind angle we want to have and want to keep
- i70 Multi Instrument: True/apparent wind angle/wind speed, depth, boat speed, water temperature and A.I.S information
- i60 Wind instrument: Wind angle and wind speed information
- AXIOM 12 Pro chart plotter: Receives data as wind information, speed/temperature, A.I.S and depth. On the plotter you can lay out the course to steer